Chris Deferio: Keys to the Shop
Chris Deferio is a cafe quality specialist who has dedicated 20 years of his life to working in and studying specialty coffee retail. He is also the creator and host of the industry leading podcast, Keys to the Shop, which gives listeners insights, inspiration, and tools to grow as specialty coffee professionals.
Chris previously appeared on the show to help us get more perspective on managing part-time staff. In this conversation, Chris and I explore some of the practical steps that small business owners and general managers can take in order to support employee retention.
- Be mindful of the realities of turnover in a small business, but don’t let it stop you from thinking about the future and investing in people.
- Yes, hire for attitude — and also have an eye to future potential as the business grows.
- Ask people this question in interviews: “Where did you contribute to dysfunction in your prior organization?”
- Make an investment in people beyond the paycheck. This could be learning, culture, competitions, or more. There are ways to do this without tremendous expense.
- Practice intentional breaks in your rhythm, since nobody else in your business is likely to do this.
- Keys to the Shop podcast
- Good to Great* by Jim Collins
- Good Authority* by Jonathan Raymond
- Chris Deferio’s consulting
- Three Steps To Soliciting Feedback, with Tom Henschel (episode 107)
- How to Lead Part-Time Staff, with Chris Deferio (episode 289)
- Six Tactics to Achieve Extraordinary Performance, with Morten Hansen (episode 337)
- How to Connect Personal Growth to Business Outcomes, with Jonathon Raymond (episode 373)
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.