Chris Deferio: Keys to the Shop
Chris Deferio is the host of Keys to the Shop, a podcast that helps coffee service professionals to advance their careers by discovering more about barista work, management, leadership, and the operational knowledge to run a coffee shop.
Chris has decades of experience managing teams of part-time staff in a high turnover industry. In this episode, he shares the most practical tips his team has discovered for helping leaders be most effective with part-time employees.
- You can only go so far with positive feedback, you should also seek feedback on how you can improve.
- If you have a failure, just learn the lesson from it and apply that knowledge in the future.
- When hiring, focus on finding people who share your core company values.
- A lot of people know how to give good answers for the normal interview questions, so you have to ask different, more creative questions to really get to know them.
- Rather than view scheduling as a burden, look at it as a way to serve people.
- Doing a great job scheduling employees is a good way to show employees that you care about them.
- The Leadership Challenge* by James M. Kouzes and Barry Z. Posner
- Mindset* by Carol Deck
- It's Okay to Be the Boss* by Bruce Tulgan
- Keys to the Shop podcast
- How to Master Your Workflow on Keys to the Shop
- Leadership & Management Master Class on Keys to the Shop
- How To Lead The Millennials, with Chip Espinoza (episode 158)
- What to Do When Somebody Quits, with Molly Moseley (episode 251)
- How to Manage Former Peers, with Tom Henschel (episode 257)
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.