Jonathan Raymond: Good Authority
Jonathan Raymond is the founder of Refound, a firm that believes we should all be aiming for more Yoda and less Superman. He is the author of the book, Good Authority: How to Become the Leader Your Team Is Waiting For* and the creator of the The Accountability Dial 101 course*.
Many managers and leaders recognize when more accountability is needed, but few use a process that invites high performance and embraces the whole person. In his work at Refound, Jonathan invites leaders to imagine a world where personal and professional growth are one thing, and where improving your relationships and owning your strengths translate directly into the rest of your life.
In this conversation, Jonathan teaches us a common language around accountability that works for almost everyone. Plus, he teaches us the five key steps of the accountability dial.
- Micromanagement is focused on tasks, but accountability is focused on relationships.
- Accountability doesn’t work unless there’s a context of personal caring.
- Employees want growth, and growth comes from productive discomfort. If you if you orient your day towards acknowledgment only on the positive side, you’re missing the better part of it.
The 5 Steps of the Accountability Dial:
- The Mention
- The Invitation
- The Conversation
- The Boundary
- The Limit
- The Accountability Dial 101 course*
- Good Authority: How to Become the Leader Your Team Is Waiting For* by Jonathan Raymond
- Download the Accountability Dial
- Refound (Jonathan's Firm)
Download my highlights from Good Authority in PDF format (free membership required).
- How to Create Team Guidelines, with Susan Gerke (episode 192)
- New Management Practices of Leading Organizations, with David Burkus (episode 253)
- Moving Beyond Command and Control, with Brian Robertson (episode 258)
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.