Susan Gerke: Go Team Resources
Susan was last appeared on three prior shows:
- 21: Your Strengths and Blind Spots
- 138: The Four Unique Types of Teams
- 139: How To Maximize Team Performance
You can discover more about Susan and her training materials at Go Team Resources.
On a true team, the work is all integrated.
Don’t create guidelines yourself and give them to the team.
A starting point for how to create team guidelines is what did not work well on a previous team.
“The dialogue that happens while team guidelines are being created is almost the highest value thing that happens.” -Susan Gerke
It’s important to have everyone present at a team meeting.
Creating operating guidelines is really foundational work for a team.
If you don’t do these kinds of things for your team, where do you go when you’re struggling?
How to keep it visible:
- Don’t go past 8 guidelines for a team
- Have a team rate themselves on each item immediately
- Assess the same number a regular meetings (monthly and then quarterly)
- Make changes along the way, but use a structured process
- Disagreement is the sign of a healthy team
We also mentioned Susan’s business partner David Hutchens, who appeared on episode 148: The Four Stories Leaders Need For Influence
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.