Go Team Resources
Susan was last appeared on three prior shows:
- 21: Your Strengths and Blind Spots
- 138: The Four Unique Types of Teams
- 139: How To Maximize Team Performance
On a true team, the work is all integrated.
Don’t create guidelines yourself and give them to the team.
A starting point for how to create team guidelines is what did not work well on a previous team.
“The dialogue that happens while team guidelines are being created is almost the highest value thing that happens.” -Susan Gerke
It’s important to have everyone present at a team meeting.
Creating operating guidelines is really foundational work for a team.
If you don’t do these kinds of things for your team, where do you go when you’re struggling?
How to keep it visible:
- Don’t go past 8 guidelines for a team
- Have a team rate themselves on each item immediately
- Assess the same number a regular meetings (monthly and then quarterly)
- Make changes along the way, but use a structured process
- Disagreement is the sign of a healthy team
We also mentioned Susan’s business partner David Hutchens, who appeared on episode 148: The Four Stories Leaders Need For Influence
- Comments, questions, or feedback for future Q&A shows: https://coachingforleaders.com/feedback
- The next Q&A show is episode 195 on the topic of self-confidence
- Resources for leaders: https://coachingforleaders.com/resources
Please join my weekly leadership guide. The leadership guide is delivered to your inbox each Wednesday and includes my thoughts and recommendations on the best articles, podcasts, videos, and books, to support your development between shows. It also includes a brief overview and link to the full weekly show notes. If you, like me, tend to listen to podcasts while you’re on the road or exercising, this will give you an easy way to follow-up later on the links and resources we mention in every show.
As a bonus, when you join the weekly leadership guide, you’ll get immediate access to my reader’s guide listing the 10 Leadership Books that Will Help You Get Better Results From Others with brief summaries from me on the value of each book. Download the 11-page reader’s guide and 9-minute video of these book recommendations…plus, insight on the 2 books that I rely on weekly! https://coachingforleaders.com/subscribe
Community Member Spotlight:
Learn more on how to submit your spotlight at coachingforleaders.com/spotlight
Thank you to mugforda and jlmohler for the kind review on iTunes. If you would like to post a review as well, it’s a huge help in the growth of the Coaching for Leaders community. If you use iTunes, just visit https://coachingforleaders.com/itunes and if you use Stitcher, please visit https://coachingforleaders.com/stitcher – and thank you in advance for your support!