Dan Ariely: Payoff
Dan Ariely is the James B. Duke Professor of Psychology and Behavioral Economics at Duke University and a founding member of the Center for Advanced Hindsight. His books include Irrationally Yours, Predictably Irrational, The Upside of Irrationality, The (Honest) Truth About Dishonesty, and his most recent book, Payoff: The Hidden Logic That Shapes Our Motivations.
- The things that motivate us are about accomplishment and achievement, not day-to-day happiness.
- Most people realize that they themselves are not truly motivated by money, but they still assume other people are completely motivated by it.
- Figure out a way to pay people that adds to the development of a long-term relationship, not a short-term transactional one.
- It is important to find a way to connect people’s jobs to the final outcome of their work, because many people don’t feel connected to their organization’s main purpose.
- Payoff: The Hidden Logic That Shapes Our Motivations* by Dan Ariely
- Predictably Irrational* by Dan Ariely
- Drive* by Daniel Pink
Download my highlights from Payoff in PDF format (free membership required).
Activate Your Free Coaching for Leaders Membership
Get immediate access to my free, 10-day audio course, 10 Ways to Empower the People You Lead. Give me 10 minutes a day for 10 days to get the most immediate, practical actions to become a better leader. Join at CoachingforLeaders.com.
- CFL84: Daniel Pink on To Sell is Human
- CFL181: Create the Best Place to Work
- CFL251: What to Do When Somebody Quits
- CFL253: New Management Practices of Leading Organizations
- CFL276: Employee Engagement With Management 3.0
Bonni and I return for the monthly question and answer show. Submit your question for consideration next week or for the first question and answer show the first Monday of every month at http://coachingforleaders.com/feedback
Thank you to Greg Hall and Chase Batt here in the States and Lynn Wang in Hong Kong for the kind reviews on iTunes. To leave a rating or review, visit http://coachingforleaders.com/itunes