Daniel Pink is the author of several bestselling books on the changing world of work. He recently released his newest book, To Sell Is Human, which is also now a bestseller. In this episode, Daniel joins me to speak about his new book, to tell us what's changed about sales, and to explain why we're all in sales now…even leaders.
Here are the questions I asked of Daniel:
- You make a strong case in the book is that sales has changed. What's changed?
- Most people I know assume that the best salespeople are extroverts. The research you've cited in your book says no. Why not?
- The use of sales scripts has been rampant in developing salespeople. You call sales scripts into question a bit in this book – so what can leaders and organizations do differently to develop their sales teams?
- You use the term “non-sales selling” to describe what a majority of us do in our work almost every day. One area your highlight is email subject lines. Why is the subject line so important and how does in matter in moving people?
- Community member question from Josh: What are some ways to dispel the stereotypical salesperson view so you can move onto effective selling and marketing?
- Community member question from Eveliina: What are the most important characteristics of a leader?
- Community member question from Jackie: From Peter Drucker….what do you want to be remembered for?
- What's a discovery you've made about yourself along the way that's contributed to your success?
A bit more about Daniel's book:
Thank you to Randy Conley, Dirk Beveridge, Pam Davis, Gary Takacs, Jennifer Miller, MK Anderson, Erik Fischer, Ken Blanchard, Aline Ayoub, Jamil Kassab, Phillip Kemp, Jen Walsh, Rennata Tropeano, and Nehemiah Bangwa for either liking our page on Facebook, following me on Google+, or following me on Twitter.
Want a booster-shot mid-week? I send a weekly article via email so you can stay connected with our community and keep getting ideas and tools that will keep you moving forward. If you're not already receiving the weekly articles, please subscribe at this link.