Bonni Stachowiak: Teaching in Higher Ed
Bonni Stachowiak is the host of the Teaching in Higher Ed podcast, a professor of business and management at Vanguard University, and my life partner. Prior to her academic career, Bonni was a human resources consultant and executive officer for a publicly traded company. She is the author of The Productive Online and Offline Professor: A Practical Guide*.
- Be apparent about the purpose of your meeting: connect, align, decide, ideate/brainstorm, plan, or produce. Discover more from Mamie Kanfer Stewart.
- You need to be more apparent and intentional about timing, transitions, and facilitation in an online meeting than with an in-person one.
- Use a service like BombBomb* for video messages that don’t require live interaction.
- Unless background noise or size of the meeting prevents it, invite people to “unmute” so you can have richer dialogue without interruption.
- Alert people if they have audio issues. Get headsets for your team, if possible. We use and recommend the Jabra Evolve line* of USB headsets.
- Number one rule for lighting: position light in front of you and not behind you. If the front light can be natural (i.e. facing a window) even better.
- BombBomb* (free 14-day trial)
- How to Combat Zoom Fatigue by Liz Fosslien and Mollie West Duffy
- COVID-19 and Videoclassism by Taharee Jackson
- How to Lead Meetings That Get Results, with Mamie Kanfer Stewart (episode 358)
- Seven Tools to Create Margin and a New Podcast (episode 411)
- The Power of Why Over How, with Gina Bianchini (episode 460)
- Connecting Over Video (The Look & Sound of Leadership)
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.