Hassan Osman: Effective Delegation of Authority
Hassan is a project management office leader at Cisco, where he leads a team of over 150 project and program managers on delivering complex projects across the world. He’s also served as a management consultant at Ernst & Young (now EY), where he led projects and programs for the largest enterprises.
He’s the author of Effective Delegation of Authority: A (Really) Short Book for New Managers About How to Delegate Work Using a Simple Delegation Process. In this episode, Hassan and I discuss the three stages of delegation, the critical importance of planning, and how to leverage delegation as a development opportunity.
Also impressive is the ten books Hassan has published while working full-time as a manager at a Fortune 100 company. He teaches others how to do it on his Writer on the Side podcast.
- Before you begin the delegation process, decide on the outcomes you need and the right person to get you there.
- Set expectations for goals, not actions.
- Use checkpoints to ensure progress and adjust frequency for experience and visibility.
- Summarize delegation meetings in writing after they occur.
- The real work of managers is to define the work, before it starts.
- Effective Delegation of Authority: A (Really) Short Book for New Managers About How to Delegate Work Using a Simple Delegation Process* by Hassan Osman
- Writer on the Side podcast
Download my highlights from Effective Delegation of Authority in PDF format (free membership required).
- Start Influencing Virtual Teams, with Hassan Osman (episode 234)
- The Way to Stop Rescuing People From Their Problems, with Michael Bungay Stanier (episode 284)
- Five Steps to Hold People Accountable, with Jonathan Raymond (episode 306)
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.