Michael Bungay Stanier: The Coaching Habit
Michael Bungay Stanier is the bestselling author of the books Do More Great Work* and The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever*. Michael and his team of facilitators help time-crunched managers coach in 10 minutes or less.
When things get difficult, there are three roles people might fall into:
- The victim
- The persecutor
- The rescuer
How to bust out of a victim role:
- Figure out what’s really going on.
- Take a deep breath.
- Think, “And what else?”
How to bust out of a persecutor role:
- Assume positive intent, that people are trying their best.
- Ask yourself what you want in the situation, and make sure you’ve communicated it to others. Then ask the others what they want.
How to bust out of a rescuer role:
- Ask the victim, “How can I help?” or “What do you want from me?”
- The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever by Michael Bungay Stanier*
- Do More Great Work by Michael Bungay Stanier*
- Derek Sivers: Hell Yeah
Activate Your Free Coaching for Leaders Membership
Get immediate access to my free, 10-day audio course, 10 Ways to Empower the People You Lead. Give me 10 minutes a day for 10 days to get the most immediate, practical actions to become a better leader. Join at CoachingforLeaders.com.
- CFL2: How to Start Coaching Someone
- CFL190: How to Improve Your Coaching Skills
- CFL237: These Coaching Questions Get Results
On the next episode, I welcome Brenda Bernstein to the show. Brenda is the author of How to Write a KILLER LinkedIn Profile* and we’ll be discussing how to make your LinkedIn profile stand out.