Michael Bungay Stanier: The Coaching Habit
Michael Bungay Stanier is the bestselling author of The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever*. Michael and his team of facilitators help time-crunched managers coach in 10 minutes or less.
When things get difficult, there are three roles people might fall into:
- The victim
- The persecutor
- The rescuer
How to bust out of a victim role:
- Figure out what’s really going on.
- Take a deep breath.
- Think, “And what else?”
How to bust out of a persecutor role:
- Assume positive intent, that people are trying their best.
- Ask yourself what you want in the situation, and make sure you’ve communicated it to others. Then ask the others what they want.
How to bust out of a rescuer role:
- Ask the victim, “How can I help?” or “What do you want from me?”
- The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever* by Michael Bungay Stanier
- Do More Great Work* by Michael Bungay Stanier
- Derek Sivers: Hell Yeah
- How to Start Coaching Someone (episode 2)
- How to Improve Your Coaching Skills, with Tom Henschel (episode 190)
- These Coaching Questions Get Results, with Michael Bungay Stanier (episode 237)
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.