Daniel Goleman: Emotional Intelligence
In 1995, Daniel Goleman published the blockbuster bestselling book Emotional Intelligence*, a book that now has more than 5 million copies in print worldwide in 40 different languages. He’s the author of a new series of primers for the competencies of emotional and social intelligence, titled Building Blocks of Emotional Intelligence* and he’s launching an emotional intelligence coaching certification.
- Emotional Intelligence has given us permission to talk about emotion in the workplace.
- Emotional Intelligence is about how well you can manage yourself.
- Self-awareness is fundamental.
- If you have a sense of your true strengths and weaknesses, you can have self-confidence that is based on reality.
- If you feel your emotions flaring up, pause and name what’s going on. That’ll allow the executive part of your brain to take back charge.
- Notice what your triggers are and intentionally avoid them.
- Self-awareness can give you insights into bad habits you might have as a leader.
- Emotional Intelligence Coaching Certification
- Building Blocks of Emotional Intelligence Primers* by Daniel Goleman, et al.
- What Makes a Leader: Why Emotional Intelligence Matters* by Daniel Goleman
- Emotional and Social Competence Inventory
Download my highlights from Emotional Self-Awareness in PDF format (free membership required).
- Create Behavior That Lasts, with Marshall Goldsmith (episode 196)
- The Choice for Compassion, with Edith Eger (episode 336)
- How to Leverage Your 360, with Tom Henschel (episode 341)
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.