Tom Henschel: The Look & Sound of Leadership
Tom Henschel of Essential Communications grooms senior leaders and executive teams. An internationally recognized expert in the field of workplace communications and self-presentation, he has helped thousands of leaders achieve excellence through his work as an executive coach and his top-rated podcast, The Look & Sound of Leadership.
In this conversation, Tom shares the strategies he uses to help executive leaders benefit from 360 degree feedback. You will discover the right mindset to enter into, effective ways to process 360 degree feedback, and what to do going forward.
- A 360 gives you feedback from people above you, your peers, and people below you.
- 360s can be career transformative.
- A 360 almost always goes alongside coaching.
- 360s are not a performance management tool.
- If 360s are not done well, they can become dangerous and people are very cautious giving real feedback.
- Don’t try to figure out who said what. Instead, focus on the overall themes.
- The results of a 360 generally should not be totally new information for receivers. They’ve probably already heard the feedback before.
- Three Steps to Soliciting Feedback, with Tom Henschel (episode 107)
- How to Improve Your Coaching Skills, with Tom Henschel (episode 190)
- How to Grow Your Professional Network, with Tom Henschel (episode 279)
- Executive Presence With Your Elevator Speech, with Tom Henschel (episode 316)
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.