Sharone Bar-David: Abrasive Leaders
Sharone Bar-David is the author of Trust Your Canary: Every Leader’s Guide to Taming Workplace Incivility* and president at Bar-David Consulting, a company offering solutions for creating a respectful workplace and rehabilitating abrasive leaders.
- Abrasive leaders often don’t realize how they’re acting, or if they do, they don’t realize the negative affects.
- One of the greatest myths is that you can’t do without someone — everyone is replaceable.
- The three steps of SBD:
- State the Expectation – What values or behavior you expect?
- Behavior – What are the behaviors that are of concern?
- Desired Behavior – How do you want the person to act?
- 360 reviews are good for diagnosing a problem with an abrasive leader, but not for solving it.
- Abrasive Leader Risk Assessment
- Trust Your Canary* by Sharone Bar-David
- Abrasive Leaders: Five Mistakes You’ve Made When Managing Them
- Is Your Email Writing Style Putting You at Risk?
- How to Handle a Boss Who’s a Jerk, with Tom Henschel (episode 164)
- How to Tame Workplace Incivility, with Sharone Bar-David (episode 210)
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.