Chris Voss: Never Split the Difference
Chris Voss is the Founder and CEO of the Black Swan Group and the author of Never Split The Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It*. Chris was the lead international kidnapping negotiator for the Federal Bureau of Investigation, as well as the FBI’s hostage negotiation representative for the National Security Council’s Hostage Working Group.
- Compromise is a dirty word.
- Really smart people often have trouble being negotiators.
- Negotiation is not just a rational conversation, but brings in the emotion of both parties.
- A successful negotiation is one where the other party walks away respecting you after the interaction.
- Beware of anchoring high at the start of a conversation as it may exclude you from an even better outcome.
- Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It by Chris Voss*
- The Dark Side of Emotional Intelligence by Adam Grant
- Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School
- Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In* by Roger Fisher and William Ury
- How to Get Way Better at Accepting Feedback, with Sheila Heen (episode 143)
- How to Be a Non-Conformist, with Adam Grant (episode 238)
- How Women Make Stronger, Smarter Choices, with Therese Huston (episode 255)
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.