Chris Voss: Never Split the Difference
Chris Voss (web) (LinkedIn) is the Founder and CEO of the Black Swan Group and the author of Never Split The Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It*. Chris was the lead international kidnapping negotiator for the Federal Bureau of Investigation, as well as the FBI’s hostage negotiation representative for the National Security Council’s Hostage Working Group.
- Compromise is a dirty word.
- Really smart people often have trouble being negotiators.
- Negotiation is not just a rational conversation, but brings in the emotion of both parties.
- A successful negotiation is one where the other party walks away respecting you after the interaction.
- Beware of anchoring high at the start of a conversation as it may exclude you from an even better outcome.
- Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It by Chris Voss*
- The Dark Side of Emotional Intelligence by Adam Grant
- Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School
- Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In by Roger Fisher and William L. Ury*
Join the Weekly Leadership Guide
Get each episode's show notes and Dave's handpicked resources for leadership in your inbox each Wednesday. Plus, get instant access to Dave's readers' guide listing the 10 leadership books that will help you get better results from others.
- CFL143: Accepting Feedback With Sheila Heen of Difficult Conversations
- CFL238: How to Be a Non-Conformist, with Adam Grant
- CFL255: How Women Make Stronger, Smarter Choices
Susan Gerke (web) returns to the show to teach us how to benefit from conflict.