Michael Hyatt: The Vision-Driven Leader
Michael is the Chief Executive Officer and founder of Michael Hyatt & Company. He has scaled multiple companies over the years, including a $250M publishing company with 700+ employees and his own leadership development company that has grown over 60% year over year for the past 4 years. Under his leadership, Michael Hyatt & Company has been featured in the Inc. 5000 list of the fastest-growing companies in America for three years in a row.
He is also the author of several New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today bestselling books, including Platform*, Living Forward*, Your Best Year Ever*, and Free to Focus*. He enjoys The Double Win with his wife of 40+ years, five daughters, and nine grandchildren. He recently released his newest book: The Vision-Driven Leader: 10 Questions to Focus Your Efforts, Energize Your Team, and Scale Your Business*.
In this conversation, Michael and I discuss where to start once you’ve created an initial vision. Michael invites us to engage those that don’t like change and take the time to listen. In addition, getting buy-in from your boss is essential — your vision should align with their goals and those of the organization.
- Start with your direct reports who don’t like change. Be quick to listen, slow to speak.
- Make the distinction between risky vs. stupid.
- Bosses don’t like surprises. You have to commit first.
When I had a boss, I had a basic rule: Don’t take a swing unless I’m confident I’ll hit the ball. -Michael Hyatt
- Know your customer. Make sure the vision is helping your boss — and the organization — achieve their goals.
Before you schedule a time to pitch your proposal, answer the question: how is my Vision Script going to help my boss achieve their goals? If you can’t answer that question, you’re not ready to make the pitch. -Michael Hyatt
- Anticipate the objections you’re likely to receive and be ready for them.
- Once you’ve got buy-in on a vision, stop. Don’t oversell it.
- When you’re starting to get tired of hearing yourself talk about the vision, that’s an indicator that you’re on the right track.
Download my highlights from The Vision-Driven Leader in PDF format (free membership required).
- How to Get Noticed in a Noisy World, with Michael Hyatt (episode 40)
- How to Create a Vivid Vision, with Cameron Herold (episode 345)
- Embrace a Just Cause, with Simon Sinek (episode 473)
- How to Create Your Personal Vision (free membership required)
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.