Pat Flynn: Let Go
Pat Flynn is a father, husband, and entrepreneur who lives and works in San Diego, California. He owns several successful online businesses and is a professional blogger, keynote speaker, and Wall Street Journal bestselling author. He’s the host of the Smart Passive Income and AskPat podcasts, which have earned a combined total of over 60 million downloads, multiple awards, and features in publications such as The New York Times and Forbes.
Pat is the author of the book Let Go: How to Transform Moments of Panic into a Life of Profits and Purpose. You can find him at Smart Passive Income.
In this conversation, Pat and I discuss the events leading up to his layoff in 2008, how he processed the change at the time, and what he did to respond purposely. Plus, he has reminders for leaders considering layoffs and many resources for those who’ve gone through it themselves.
- Plans are good and necessary to have, but they shouldn’t be written in stone.
- When the unexpected happens, keep moving.
- If you find yourself leading an organization and the future is uncertain, don’t say or pretend otherwise.
- A core value of Pat’s organization: embrace the process.
- Online Business Toolkit: Free resources from Pat Flynn’s team during COVID-19
- The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles* by Steven Pressfield
Download my highlights from Let Go in PDF format (free membership required).
- Ten Ways to Pick Yourself Up When You’re Beaten Down (episode 85)
- How to Manage Your Inner Critic, with Tara Mohr (episode 232)
- Your Attitude Defines Your Altitude, with Howard “H” White (episode 384)
- Keep Going (Dave’s Journal)
- If You Can, Move Your Feet (Dave’s Journal)
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.