Donald Miller: How to Grow Your Small Business
Donald Miller is The New York Times bestselling author of Building a StoryBrand and Business Made Simple. He has helped thousands of businesses grow with his powerful framework. In 2010, Don started the business he’d always dreamed of. Although his business was doing ok, he quickly realized it wasn’t what he thought it would be. Everything depended on him, and he was drowning in the mundane day-to-day.
For years, his business struggled to produce dependable, predictable results. Over years of fits and false starts, Don grew his business from nothing to nearly $20 million. In the end, he realized there were six key parts of a business, and if they were managed well, the business would fly far and fast. He’s captured those lessons in his book How to Grow Your Small Business: A 6-Step Plan to Help Your Business Take Off*.
A huge percentage of businesses fail before they have any significant success. One key trigger is failure to market the business effectively. In this conversation Donald and I discuss how to power the marketing engine of your business by using the key elements of the StoryBrand framework.
- Most small businesses think more about how their marketing will look rather than what their marketing will say.
- People are attracted to what helps them survive and thrive…and it helps to communicate those message simply.
- People buy products and services to solve problems, not because they care that much about the business.
- The customer is the hero. Never play the hero; always play the guide.
- People who are insecure talk about themselves. People who are confident talk about others. Talk about yourself only in the context of how it helps the customer.
Download my interview notes in PDF format (free membership required).
- Serve Others Through Marketing, with Seth Godin (episode 381)
- How Leaders Build, with Guy Raz (episode 491)
- How to Quit Bad Stuff Faster, with Annie Duke (episode 607)