Daphne E. Jones: Win When They Say You Won't
Daphne E. Jones has 30 years of experience in general management and executive level roles at IBM, Johnson & Johnson, Hospira, and General Electric but began her career as a secretary. At GE, she served as Senior Vice President for Future of Work, Senior Vice President & Chief Information Officer for Product Engineering, Imaging, and Ultrasound, and as Senior Executive & Chief Information Officer for Global Services, all of which composed a $13 billion segment of GE Healthcare.
She serves on the board of directors for AMN Healthcare, Inc., Barnes Group Inc., and Masonite International Corp. She is the recipient of numerous domestic and international awards and recently started a company that teaches leaders how to prepare to serve on boards. She is the author of Win When They Say You Won't: Break Through Barriers and Keep Leveling Up Your Success*.
In this conversation, Daphne invites us to look at ourselves through the lens of a product, just as others will view us. We discuss the three critical elements of how stakeholders view you. Plus, Daphne and I explore the steps you can take to improve how you’re perceived through the different lenses that stakeholders see us through.
- Stakeholders are crucial for your success and it’s helpful for you to view yourself in their eyes (and yours) as a product.
- Three elements are key: performance is doing your job well, image is how people describe you, and exposure is who knows you.
- When you get radio silence in the context of happenings inside of your organization, that’s an indicator you are underexposed. Caution: you can also be overexposed.
- Map your stakeholders in the context of their influence in your work and their interest in how it support their own objectives.
- Mentors will make suggestions of things you should try. Find the part that will work for you and move on the advice.
- Win When They Say You Won't: Break Through Barriers and Keep Leveling Up Your Success* by Daphne E. Jones
- To receive a free workbook, send receipt of your book purchase to firstname.lastname@example.org
Download my interview notes in PDF format (free membership required).
- How to Deal with Opponents and Adversaries, with Peter Block (episode 328)
- What You Gain By Sponsoring People, with Julia Taylor Kennedy (episode 398)
- How to Support Women of Color, with Minda Harts (episode 506)
- The Art of Mentoring Well, with Robert Lefkowitz (episode 599)
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.