Hassan Osman: Hybrid Work Management
Hassan Osman is a director at Cisco Systems (his views are his own) where he leads a team of project and program managers on delivering complex projects across the world. He’s also served as a management consultant at EY, where he led projects and programs for the largest enterprises.
Hassan the author of several Amazon bestselling books about team management, including his most recent book, Hybrid Work Management: How to Manage a Hybrid Team in the New Workplace*.
In this conversation, Hassan and I examine the new reality and popularity of the hybrid workforce. Many leaders are now managing teams that are both co-located and remote, with individual team members regularly migrating between the two. We explore useful practices that will help you support effective teamwork and progress, regardless of physical location.
- Recent statistics from many sources are indicating that a majority of employees desire (and are beginning to expect) some kind of hybrid work arrangement.
- Lead with a remote first culture so that there isn’t a two-tier class of employees in your organization.
- Conduct all meetings online, regardless of the location of attendees. Use technology to provide a seamless experience whether somebody is co-located or remote.
- Batch meetings together and, if possible, align work days to allow from in person interactions, when ideal.
- Be cognizant of offline decisions. Involve remote employees in conversation that start offline and inform them about updates and decisions that might have occurred outside virtual interactions.
- Hybrid Work Management: How to Manage a Hybrid Team in the New Workplace* by Hassan Osman
- Hybrid Work Management: How to Manage a Hybrid Team (Udemy course)
- The Couch Manager (Hassan's site)
Download my interview notes in PDF format (free membership required).
- Effective Delegation of Authority, with Hassan Osman (episode 413)
- Transitioning to Remote Leadership, with Tammy Bjelland (episode 509)
- How to Engage Remote Teams, with Tsedal Neeley (episode 537)
- Hyflex Learning (Teaching in Higher Ed podcast)
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.