Nir Eyal: Indistractable
Nir Eyal is one of the most respected experts on the intersection of psychology, technology, and business. The MIT Technology Review has called him, “The Prophet of Habit-Forming Technology.”
He previously authored the Wall Street Journal bestseller Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products* which received tremendous traction in the technology and entrepreneurial communities. Now, he’s turned his attention to how we can control our attention in a world of complexity.
His new book, Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life*, challenges some of the traditional misconceptions about distractions. In this conversation, Nir and I discuss the practical steps on how to align your calendar with what matters most.
- Being a professional is doing what you say you’re going to do.
- Most people don’t know what they are going to do. Research shows only a third of Americans keep a daily schedule.
- If you don’t plan your time, someone else will plan it for you.
- Look to executive leaders for inspiration on being intentional with time.
- Move away from the to-do list and instead begin the discipline of timeboxing your calendar.
- Resources Nir mentioned in our conversation
- Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life* by Nir Eyal
Download my highlights from Indistractable in PDF format (free membership required).
- Getting Things Done, with David Allen (episode 184)
- How to Transform Your Limitations Into Advantages, with Mark Barden (episode 207)
- The Way to Stop Spinning Your Wheels on Planning (episode 319)
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.