Ruth Gotian: The Success Factor
Ruth Gotian has been hailed by the journal Nature and Columbia University as an expert in mentorship and leadership development. Recently, she was named as the #1 emerging management thinker in the world by Thinkers50. She was a semi-finalist for the Forbes 50 Over 50 list and has coached and mentored hundreds of people throughout her career.
In addition to being published in academic journals, she is a contributor to Forbes and Psychology Today, where she writes about optimizing success. She is the Chief Learning Officer in Anesthesiology and former Assistant Dean of Mentoring and Executive Director of the Mentoring Academy at Weill Cornell Medicine, where she is a faculty member. She is the author of The Success Factor: Developing the Mindset and Skillset for Peak Business Performance*.
In this conversation, Ruth and I explore her research on how high achievers build their networks — and also what works for us both in our personal practices. We discuss several tactics that most leaders can use to strengthen existing networks. Plus, we examine the mindsets that tend to lead to success in professional relationships, in spite of busy schedules.
- High achievers are always seeking perspective, insight, and inspiration from people in many different career stages and disciplines.
- Use the 24/7/30 rule when making new connections. Reach out within 24 hours, again in 7 days, and also at 30 days.
- Almost always there is a way you can add value to another person, even if they are at the top of professional game. Find that way to help.
- When you create content on social media, you emerge as one of the 1% of professionals who choose to do this.
- Give without expectation of anything in return.
- The Success Factor: Developing the Mindset and Skillset for Peak Business Performance* by Ruth Gotian
- How Do You Find a Decent Mentor When You’re Stuck at Home? by Ruth Gotian
- Networking for Introverted Scientists by Ruth Gotian
- Conversation Starters by Ruth Gotian
- The Power of Weak Connections, with David Burkus (episode 347)
- How to Strengthen Your Network, with Marissa King (episode 425)
- How to Get Noticed on LinkedIn, with Stephen Hart (episode 495)
- How to Lead and Retain High Performers, with Ruth Gotian (episode 567)
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.