Liz Wiseman: Rookie Smarts
Liz Wiseman is listed on the Thinkers50 ranking and named as one of the top 10 leadership thinkers in the world and recipient of the 2016 ATD Champion of Talent Award. She is the author of three best-selling books, including Multipliers* and Rookie Smarts*.
- When we’re outside of our area of expertise, we have a leaner’s advantage that helps us think outside the box.
- When veterans look at tough situations, they look inside. Rookies look to the outside, which often makes them more flexible and creative.
- It’s more critical to be able to access what’s in other people’s heads than to keep everything in your own.
- In today’s fast-paced world, we’re constantly doing things that have no precedent. In this environment, it’s better to be a quick learner than to try to know everything.
- When we make mistakes but admit and then fix them, we end up with even happier customers and stakeholders.
- It’s good for you to say yes to things you don’t totally know how to do because it keeps you in a healthy rookie mindset.
- Living and Working With Child-like Wonder (Liz’s TED talk)
- Rookie Smarts* by Liz Wiseman
- Multipliers* by Liz Wiseman
Download my highlights from Rookie Smarts in PDF format (free membership required).
- How to Get Way Better at Accepting Feedback, with Sheila Heen (episode 143)
- How to Manage Former Peers, with Tom Henschel (episode 257)
- How to Lead Part-Time Staff, with Chris Deferio (episode 289)
- How to Deal With the Diminishers, with Liz Wiseman (episode 305)
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.