Pete Mockaitis: How to Be Awesome at Your Job
Pete Mockaitis is the host of the How to be Awesome at Your Job podcast, regularly listed as a top careers show on Apple podcasts.
- Your sense of ownership in your work can have huge consequences in how well things unfold.
- Self-efficacy has a large effect on your sense of ownership in your work.
- Try to connect the job someone is doing with the overall mission of the organization.
- The effects of micromanaging can be disastrous for an organization.
- When delegating a job, think about the critical components of the job and what you want the result to be, then let employees get the job done however they see fit.
- Delegation doesn’t have to be an all-in-one-shot type of thing, it can be done in stages.
Steps to delegating:
- Watch me do this
- Help me do this
- Let’s do this together
- I’ll help you do this
- I’ll watch you do this.
- Albert Bandura
- The 80/20 Principle* by Richard Koch
- Essentialism* by Greg McKeown
- The ONE Thing* Gary Keller Jay Papasan
- Arthur Woods podcast episode
- Jeff McManus podcast episode
- Financial Intelligence* by Joe Knight
- Improve Your Financial Intelligence with Joe Knight (episode 244)
Episodes from the How to be Awesome at Your Job podcast that may be of value to your team:
- Increasing Confidence by Increasing Self-Awareness with Dr. Tasha Eurich
- Making Stress Work for You with Dr. Melanie Greenberg
- Overcoming Self-limiting Beliefs with R. Michael Anderson
- Honing Your Persuasive Skills with Kwame Christian
- Communicating with Inspiration and Clarity with Mawi Asgedom
- The Seven Steps You Follow To Delegate Work (episode 117)
- The Four Stories Leaders Need For Influence, with David Hutchens (episode 148)
- How to Challenge Directly and Care Personally, with Kim Scott (episode 302)
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.