When I first picked up Liz Wiseman’s book Rookie Smarts* a few months ago, this quote hit me square in the face:
While many corporate training and development programs are anchored in aspiration-based learning, the reality is that we respond better to desperation-based learning.
I’ve transitioned much of my client work in recent years to address times of struggle. Liz reminded us how essential it is during struggles to ask questions — and be transparent about what you don’t know.
Here are the most useful links from this episode:
- Full audio and show notes
- Dave’s highlights from Rookie Smarts (PDF download)
- Living and Working With Child-Like Wonder (Liz’s TED talk)
If Liz was helpful, these episodes will be too:
- CFL143: How to Get Way Better at Accepting Feedback
- CFL257: How to Manage Former Peers
- CFL289: How to Lead Part-Time Staff
- CFL305: How to Deal With the Diminishers