If you Google the phrase “work-life balance” you’ll get 265 million hits. There’s lots of information on this so called balance, but not as much on the practical perspective of what works and doesn’t for people. Today, my guest John Corcoran and I tackle the practical pursuit of work-life balance.
Guest: John Corcoran SmartBusinessRevolution.com John also appeared on Coaching for Leaders epsiode #106: How to Create Your Personal Networking Plan List of resources that John or I mentioned during our conversation:
- Ursula Burns (CEO of Xerox) and her thoughts on work-life balance, as reported by the Wall Street Journal
- The Storyline Productivity Schedule (used by John)
- David Allen’s Getting Things Done* (both John and Dave use the philosophy of this system)
- ProductiveFlourishing.com (John uses)
- OmniFocus (Dave’s task management system)
- Drafts (how Dave captures thoughts throughout the day)
- 5 Days To Your Best Year Ever (Dave attended this course over the holidays to set his 2014 goals)
- iCloud calendars (Dave’s family uses this to coordinate family scheduling)
- Boomerang for Gmail (John uses this to delay sending emails)
- Coaching for Leaders episode #70: How Three Words Can Drive Your Development This Year (Dave’s podcast that aired in early 2013 that John and Dave referenced during the show)
- Book recommendation: Give and Take by Adam Grant*
- Book recommendation: How To Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie*
- Book recommendation: The Secrets of Happy Families by Bruce Feiler* (mentioned by Dave post-interview)
- Follow Dave’s reading on GoodReads.com by visiting CoachingforLeaders.com/goodreads
USA: (949) 38-LEARN
Be sure to also check out John’s podcast, the Smart Business Revolution Episode #125 airing later this month will be an all question and answer show focused on the topic of Time Management. If you have a question relating to time management, please record it for consideration for this episode at this link.
Thank you Nusrat Khan, Shannon Chiusano, Johana Alvarado, Arthur Kogut, Pam Davis, Chao Fan, Jacob Abanga, Ian Butcher, John Corcoran, Maria Augustyn, Melissa Dixon, Jenny, Bryan Ryndak, James Drake, Rob Root, Brian Myers, and Loraine Clarke who’ve subscribed to my weekly update this past week. Thank you to Marla R for your very kind written review on Stitcher. If this show has been valuable to you as well, please leave a written review on iTunes or Stitcher by visiting coachingforleaders.com/itunes or coachingforleaders.com/stitcherWhat one new idea did you gain from our conversation that will help you achieve better work-life balance?