We turn our final episode of our training series to what every leader ought to know about sending people to training. Since episode #30, we've learned about many aspects of training, so this week we turn our focus to what you should know (and do) when sending people to training. I welcome Janet Riley, a gifted trainer and consultant, to help explore this topic.
Janet's extensive career in the learning and development industry has provided her thousands of hours in experience training leaders around the world, most recently with the David Allen Company. She provides important and practical wisdom for all leaders. Here's what I asked her:
- When is training a good way to develop someone?
- When is training the wrong answer?
- What are three things leaders can do before training to support people changing behaviors?
- What are some of the different attitudes people show up with in a training classroom – and how can a leader respond to each of these?
- What common mistakes do leaders make when trying to support people in training?
- What can a leader do to support ongoing implementation of what's been learned after training is complete?
- What general advice do you have for leaders who use training to develop others?
- Since this show is about engaging and developing others with coaching, who is a leader that's been an effective coach for you?
Our next series coming up on Monday, May 14th is on presentations and public speaking – both how to do this well yourself and how to coach others to become more effective presenters. You don't want to miss the first episode in this series – and if you have questions on presenting, please send them now so that I can address them in the upcoming series!
A special thank you to Alexander Singer, Diego Soto, Gergana Pavlova, and Plamen Petrov – all of whom visited the Coaching for Leaders Facebook page in the last week and liked it! We're glad to have you as part of our community.
If what you've heard on this week's show has been valuable to you or if you've benefited from past episodes, please leave us a review on iTunes. You can do this at coachingforleaders.com/itunes and then click “View in iTunes.” We are very grateful for your feedback!
Wherever you are in the world, whatever is on your agenda today, take one idea from this show to engage and develop someone you lead.