I heard throughout my life that I should always honor those who are older than me and I've always been asked to lead them. In this episode, Bonni and I discuss situations where we've both been asked to lead people older than us and identify seven principles that can help you do this successfully as well.
1. Everyone is your superior in some way.
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
2. Focus on the right questions instead of the right answers.
3. Befriend people who are older than you are – and younger too.
4. Remember each person will be very young and very old.
- Movie recommendation: “The curious case of Benjamin Button.”
5. Honoring and leading are not mutually exclusive.
6. Not everyone wants to lead.
7. You are there for a reason.
Announcing our Great Leader Story Contest to air on episode #62 on November 5, 2012!
- Submit Real story on a specific incident
- Call in your story to (949) 38-LEARN or record right at your computer at: www.coachingforleaders.com/speak
- Keep stories to 2 minutes or less!
Deadline for submission of great leader stories is Thursday, November 1, 2012
Are you a fan of the Coaching for Leaders show? Would you take 2 minutes to nominate us for an award? Here's how! First, go to:
You will see a nomination ballot on that page. Please nominate us in the BUSINESS category. Fill out the following information in that box:
Podcast name: Coaching for Leaders
Podcast URL: http://www.coachingforleaders.com
Once you've entered that, scroll to the bottom and fill in your name and email address and hit SUBMIT – that's it! You're done!
Nominations close at midnight on Monday, October 15th, so please submit as soon as possible!
Thank you to Michael O'Connor, David Pecoraro, Desta Crawford, and Marco Pena for liking our Facebook fan page!
I am accepting subscriptions to my free newsletter. If you would to receive more leadership resources, you can SUBSCRIBE HERE. Also, you'll receive as a bonus, a video and down-loadable list of the 10 Books That Will Make You a Better Leader.
Wherever you are in the world, whatever is on your agenda today, take one idea from this show to engage and develop someone you lead.