Mikaila Ulmer: Bee Fearless
Mikaila Ulmer is a 15-year-old social entrepreneur, bee ambassador, educator and student. She founded her Me & the Bees Lemonade business when she was just four years old, and over the past decade has sold over 1 million bottles across 1,500 stores in the United States. Her appearance on Shark Tank at age nine scored a $60,000 investment from Daymond John.
Mikaila has established herself as a voice of guidance for others, appearing on Good Morning America, The Today Show, 20/20, ABC World News Tonight, and many other venues. She was selected as one of Time magazine’s 30 Most Influential Teens and for Ebony Magazine’s Ebony Power100 #Black Excellence. She is the author of the new book, Bee Fearless: Dream Like a Kid*.
In this conversation, Mikaila discuss what inspired her to start her business and the importance of a larger mission behind work. She talks about the importance of passion, balancing her work with her schooling, and how to support kids in doing great things. Plus, she shares what she’s learned along the way on turning a dream into reality.
- Turn adversity into advantage.
- It’s more enjoyable to build a business when you not only have hands-on experience and know-how, but passion.
- Big news needs to be approached with careful consideration.
- Aim to be good and kind in running a business.
- Bee Fearless: Dream Like a Kid* by Mikaila Ulmer
- How to Transform Your Limitations Into Advantages, with Mark Barden (episode 207)
- How Leaders Build, with Guy Raz (episode 491)
- If You Build It, They Will Come (Dave’s Journal)
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.