Carey Nieuwhof: At Your Best
Carey Nieuwhof is a former lawyer, a bestselling leadership author, a podcaster, and the CEO of Carey Nieuwhof Communications. He speaks to leaders around the world about leadership, change, and personal growth. He writes a widely read leadership blog at CareyNieuwhof.com and also hosts the top-rated Carey Nieuwhof Leadership podcast. He’s the author of At Your Best: How to Get Time, Energy, and Priorities Working in Your Favor*.
In this conversation, Carey and I explore the reality that so many of us face in both our personal and professional lives: spending time with the wrong kind of people. We discuss how to notice we’re not helping, how to limit time, and what to do when a conversation needs to happen. Plus, we make the invitation to proactively do what often gets missed: spending time with the right people more consistently.
- The people who want your time are rarely the people who should have your time.
- Many leaders give too much time and attention away to people who aren’t helped by the interaction.
- Having a frank conversation with a person who you’re not helping is usually good for both of you.
- If you’re not able to limit interactions with the wrong kind of person, line up those interactions outside of your key energy times.
- A key way to do better at limiting time with the wrong people is to affirmatively decide to spend time with the right people.
- Burnout Quiz
- At Your Best Today
- At Your Best: How to Get Time, Energy, and Priorities Working in Your Favor* by Carey Nieuwhof
Download my interview notes in PDF format (free membership required).
- How to Make Deep Work Happen, with Cal Newport (episode 233)
- The Scientific Secrets of Daily Scheduling, with Daniel Pink (episode 332)
- How to Prepare for Conflict, with Amy Gallo (episode 530)
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.