A great mentoring program can help both the organization and its people achieve incredible results. In this episode, I welcome mentoring expert Stella Cowan to discuss what leaders should consider when designing and implementing a formal mentoring program in their organizations.
Interview with Stella Cowan
Here are the resources Stella mentioned on the show, along with some additional tools:
- Dr. Lois Zachary (Center for Mentoring Excellence)
- Ida Abbott (home page)
- Stella recommends her articles “Beyond Mentors, the Need for Champions” and “Mentoring Groups and Mentoring Circles”)
- Stella recommends two to us during training/orientation and to provide continued support to mentors and mentees are: “Being an Effective Mentor: 101 Practical Strategies for Success,” and “Working with a Mentor: 50 Practical Strategies for Success.”
- So You Want to Be Mentored by Stella Cowan*
- International Mentoring Association (some parts of this site require membership for access)
- Slideshow: “Implementing a Mentoring Program” Stella uses this slideshow when presenting to groups interesting in implementing a program. The slideshow provides a high-level view of what’s required to create a successful design and launch.
- Sample Mentoring Agreement – This is a sample Stella found online and has referenced as a model.
Submit a story for the Great Leader Story Contest to air on episode #62 on November 5, 2012!
- Submit Real story on a specific incident
- Call in your story to (949) 38-LEARN or record right at your computer at: www.coachingforleaders.com/speak
- Keep stories to 2 minutes or less!
Deadline for submission of great leader stories is Thursday, November 1, 2012
Thank you to Venus Gray for liking our Facebook fan page!
Wherever you are in the world, whatever is on your agenda today, take one idea from this show to engage and develop someone you lead.