Virtually all leaders in organizations are called upon to manage (or at least be part of) the hiring process. In this episode, Bonni and I look at some common mistakes made in the hiring process and some straightforward things you can do to get better results in your hiring decisions.
USA: (949) 38-LEARN
Global: +1 (949) 385-3276
Twitter: @DaveStachowiak #CFLshow
Guest: Bonni Stachowiak
Common Failures in the Hiring Process:
1. Testing for interview skills instead of what it will take to do the job well
- Utilize behavioral interview questions
- Test for skills instead of only considering interview responses
- Book recommendation: Hiring Smart! by Pierre Mornell
2. Falling victim to the halo effect
- Sometimes one positive thing inappropriately interferes with our perceptions
- Define your criteria in advance of meeting with candidates
- Use multiple data points
3. Missing small clues along the way
- Have a multi-step process and track the individual's progress through it
4. Forgetting that the very best candidates are interviewing you as much as you are interviewing them
Look at your process from an outsider's perspective
5. Not leveraging technology
- Leverage services that will help you connect with candidates
- Remember the hidden job market
A mentioned a brief note about episode #85
Thank you to Kristin Kay, Marie Austin, Christopher Avery, Neal Schaffer, Faviola Bolster, Andrew McGivern, Sherry Lin, Dominic Sicotte, Steve Stewart, Majid Raza, Joanna Janikowska, Angie Apollo, and Thom Stout for either liking our page on Facebook, following me on Google+, or following me on Twitter.
Want a booster-shot mid-week? I send a weekly article via email so you can stay connected with our community and keep getting ideas and tools that will keep you moving forward. If you're not already receiving the weekly articles, please subscribe at this link.