Gladys McGarey: The Well-Lived Life
Gladys McGarey is 102 years old and a still-practicing doctor. Recognized as a pioneer of the allopathic and holistic medical movements, she is also a founding diplomat of the American Board of Holistic Medicine. She is the cofounder and past president of the American Holistic Medical Association, as well as the cofounder of the Academy of Parapsychology and Medicine and the founder of The International Academy of Clinical Hypnosis.
Gladys lives and works in Scottsdale, Arizona, where for many years she shared a medical practice with her daughter. She currently has a medical consulting practice, maintains a healthy diet, and enjoys a good piece of cake every now and then. She has spoken at TEDx and is the author of The Well-Lived Life: A 102-Year Old Doctor's Six Secrets to Health and Happiness at Any Age*.
Our efforts in leadership development, personal growth, or getting better at anything, are all about starting. In this conversation, Gladys and I discuss the critical nature of movement in our lives and work. We also explore how to identify where to start and why it’s more about beginning that finishing.
- All life needs to move. If we're not moving, we can't function.
- Stuckness is an illusion. If we know what to look for, movement is all around us and within us.
- A flashlight in the dark can only see a few steps ahead — but that’s enough to move in the right direction and begin seeing more.
- Look for the trickle around the dam. Noticing where movement already is will often be the starting point to go further.
- Doctors don’t heal patients, only patients can heal themselves. Pay attention to beginning instead of finishing.
- The Well-Lived Life: A 102-Year Old Doctor's Six Secrets to Health and Happiness at Any Age* by Gladys McGarey
Download my interview notes in PDF format (free membership required).
- How to Tame Your Inner Critic, with Tara Mohr (episode 232)
- Leadership Means You Go First, with Keith Ferrazzi (episode 488)
- How to Make Progress When Starting Something New, with Michael Bungay Stanier (episode 562)
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic. To accelerate your learning, uncover more inside Coaching for Leaders Plus.