Jim Harter: It’s the Manager
Jim Harter is the Chief Scientist for Workplace at Gallup. He has led more than 1,000 studies of workplace effectiveness, including the largest ongoing meta-analysis of human potential and business unit performance. He is the co-author with Jim Clifton of the new book, It’s the Manager: Gallup Finds That the Quality of Managers and Team Leaders is the Single Biggest Factor in Your Organization’s Long-Term Success*.
Millennials and Generation Z have influenced the changing nature of work. Six key findings from Gallup:
- People don’t just work for a paycheck — they want a purpose.
- People are no longer pursuing job satisfaction — they are pursuing development.
- People don’t want bosses — they want coaches.
- People don’t want annual reviews — they want ongoing conversations.
- People don’t want a manager that fixates on their weaknesses.
- People say, it’s not my job — it’s my life.
- It's the Manager: Gallup Finds the Quality of Managers and Team Leaders is the Single Biggest Factor in Your Organization's Long-Term Success* by Jim Clifton and Jim Harter
- CliftonStrengths (formerly StrengthsFinder) assessment
- Gallup Access
Download my highlights from It’s the Manager in PDF format (free membership required).
- These Coaching Questions Get Results, with Michael Bungay Stanier (episode 237)
- How Teams Use StrengthsFinder Results, with Lisa Cummings (episode 293)
- Three Steps to Great Career Conversations, with Russ Laraway (episode 370)
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.