We all know what corporate brands are, but do you have clarity on your own, personal brand? Today, we examine the five elements of an effective personal brand with executive coach Heather Backstrom.
Guest: Heather Backstrom
What is a personal brand?
- Personal brand is who a person is from the inside out.
- It’s not about external looks – that is personal image (also important, but different).
- Knowing our values can provide clarity on the kind of work and work environment we choose.
- To help get clarity on your values, you may wish to utilize Dave’s values exercise at this link.
- Consider experiences in your life that really brought you joy – what values show up?
- For more on values, check out Coaching for Leaders episode 20.
- It’s about where you are now and where you wish to go.
- Create a target for yourself by defining it visually or in writing.
- “You can’t hit a target you don’t even have.” -Zig Ziglar
- For a journaling app, check out Day One.
- For more on vision, check out Coaching for Leaders episode 22.
- Vision is where your head is and purpose is how you get there.
- Vision is the future and purpose is what’s happening in the present.
- Dave spoke about being a “curator of wisdom about people.”
- Without purpose, we tend to get caught up in other people’s lives and lose our own way.
- Personal brand is about bringing out the best of who you are.
- Borrow wisdom from others, but make it your own.
- We define our world and other people by our perceptions.
- The language we use can change how people perceive us.
- Heather and Dave both mentioned that they struggled most with this element.
What action will you take enhance one of these five elements of your personal brand?
Feedback On this topic: http://coachingforleaders.com/133
Comments, questions, or feedback: http://coachingforleaders.com/feedback
A reminder that episode #135 coming up in two weeks is completely focused on training. Submit your question for consideration at this link.
Thank you to Maria White, Gail Williams, Linda Eller, Valarie Hogan, Kathleen Wheeler, Sarah Blaise, Coop Cooper, Lisa Stockwell, René Hernandez, Lena Staafgard, Brenda Mundy, Jessie Chen, Dee Maher, Felipe Souza, Vicky Nicolas, Luke Robinson, Cindy Paris, David Rivera, Heath Mullikin, Zulma Monsalve, and Dan Cooke for subscribing to my weekly update this past week.
A special than you to Linda for the very kind iTunes review! If this show has been valuable to you as well, please leave a written review on iTunes or Stitcher by visiting http://coachingforleaders.com/itunes or http://coachingforleaders.com/stitcher