Your core values influence how you view the world and how you interact with others. It's key that we understand our own core values as part of our series on personal leadership.
I read a quote on page 46 of The Leadership Challenge by Jim Kouzes and Barry Posner
Here are the values that I spoke about:
- Meaning – Investing my time and talent into things and people that personally inspire me in the world.
- Sustainability – Putting my effort into things that will provide lasting, positive change in the world.
- Vision – Creating the future by building things twice (once with vision, once in reality).
- Empowerment – Give others the confidence to learn, grow, and contribute to the world in sustainable ways.
- Love – My passion and desire to treat people like fellow human beings.
Some questions for you to consider as you determine your core values:
- What is your perfect day?
- What are you doing when you are in flow and lose track of time?
- What events are you most proud of in your life?
- When do you feel most alive?
- What makes you angry?
- What are you willing to fight for?
I mentioned this document on the show that contains a list of values and may be helpful in determining your core values.
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.