Creativity isn’t the first thing that I hear most leaders wanting to get better at. However, most of us can reap huge rewards by being more creative. On today’s how, why we should care about creativity and how to get better at it.
Guest: Todd Henry
Author, The Accidental Creative: How To Be Brilliant At A Moment's Notice*
“Creativity, at the heart of it, is problem solving.” -Todd Henry
“We are creatures of habit and creatures of comfort.” -Todd Henry
Focus is a key element of creative work
- Those who are most effective can define their work very well.
- Define your work by establishing challenges.
- “When we start framing up work as problem statements rather than as projects, it completely changes the way that we approach the work itself.” -Todd Henry
Hours of work is important element of work and creativity to look at
- “You’re not being paid for replying to emails quickly. You’re being paid for the value you contribute to the organization.” -Todd Henry
- Most people don’t make dedicated time to think and process important things.
Stimulus makes a big difference in shifting your perspective and tapping into your creativity
- If you want to have deep thoughts, immerse yourself in the minds of great people.
- Books are hugs helps to do this, and not just business books.
Capture ideas in some way
- Todd uses notecards to capture his ideas
- Later, he’ll process which ideas are helpful or actionable
Todd has learned to use seasonal rhythms in order to be most effective
What’s one action you could take to be more creative?
- On this topic: http://coachingforleaders.com/147
- Comments, questions, or feedback: http://coachingforleaders.com/feedback
- (949) 38-LEARN
Please take five minutes this week to complete the listener survey
Thank you to Zachary Theis, Eduardo Croissier, Terri Brickey, Rudi Doku, Per Asberg, Busakorn Buntongkaew, Mark Myers, Felicia Ojukwu, Steve Kane, Ray Buschur, Rohan Bell, Joel Rogers, Adrian Samms, Ravindra Kuriyan, Lisa Freeny, Oliver Bluche, Luján Facal, and Heidi Merchen for subscribing to the weekly update this past week. Receive the 10 Leadership Books That Will Help You Get Better Results From Others, including 2 books that I rely on weekly. You can subscribe at http://coachingforleaders.com/subscribe