Tom Henschel: The Look & Sound of Leadership
Executive coach Tom Henschel of Essential Communications grooms senior leaders and executive teams. An internationally recognized expert in the field of workplace communications and self-presentation, he has helped thousands of leaders achieve excellence through his work as an executive coach and his top-rated podcast, The Look & Sound of Leadership.
- An offsite doesn’t have to actually be offsite, but it needs to be treated like it is.
- What do you want the team to know that they don’t know now? Or what do you want them to be able to do that they can’t do now?
- An offsite is a great way to just talk and have experiences together that you don’t normally have time for.
- Really skilled facilitation is an art, not a science.
- Think about the why before the what.
- A good offsite is the start of a process, not the end of a process.
- If the offsite is really productive, it creates more work.
- Leaders should adopt the language of the offsite and use it repeatedly so people don’t forget.
- Fieldbook of Team Interventions: Step-by-Step Guide to High Performance Teams* by Harry Eggleton and Judy Rice
- Liberating Structures
- Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Field Guide for Leaders, Managers, and Facilitators* by Patrick Lencioni
- The Thiagi Group
- Leading Offsites episode from The Look & Sound of Leadership
- The Four Unique Types of Teams, with Susan Gerke (episode 138)
- How to Create Team Guidelines, with Susan Gerke (episode 192)
- How to Lead Through Uncertainty and Change, with Jacqueline Farrington (episode 224)
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.