Celeste Headlee: We Need to Talk
Celeste Headlee is an award-winning journalist who has appeared on NPR, PBS World, PRI, CNN, BBC and other international networks. She hosts a daily talk show called “On Second Thought” for Georgia Public Broadcasting in Atlanta. She’s the author of the book We Need to Talk: How to Have Conversations That Matter*.
- Dysfunctional conversations (especially about politics) are nothing new. What is new is how virtually every decision we make has been politicized.
- When in a conversation, let go of the burden of trying to convince someone of something.
- Listen to someone to hear their perspective rather than only waiting to hear what they say just so you can refute it.
- When you’re trying to take in information, you cannot also be holding an agenda.
- If you don’t know an answer, don’t try to hide it. Just say, “I don’t know, but I’ll find out.”
- People have less empathy towards others than they used to.
- It’s possible to find something in common with almost anyone if you ask a few questions.
- We Need to Talk: How to Have Conversations That Matter by Celeste Headlee*
- 10 Ways to Have a Better Conversation (Celeste’s TED talk)
- Don’t Find a Job, Find a Mission TEDxAugusta
- Help Make America Talk Again TEDxSeattle
Download my highlighted notes from We Need to Talk in PDF format (free membership required).
- CFL198: How to Know What to Ask
- CFL254: Use Power for Good and Not Evil
- CFL271: How to Increase Your Conversational Intelligence
Activate Your Free Coaching for Leaders Membership
Get immediate access to my free, 10-day audio course, 10 Ways to Empower the People You Lead. Give me 10 minutes a day for 10 days to get the most immediate, practical actions to become a better leader. Join at CoachingforLeaders.com.
Cameron Herold joins me next week to teach us the lessons from his book Vivid Vision: A Remarkable Tool For Aligning Your Business Around a Shared Vision of the Future.