Tom Henschel: The Look & Sound of Leadership
Tom Henschel of Essential Communications grooms senior leaders and executive teams. An internationally recognized expert in the field of workplace communications and self-presentation, he has helped thousands of leaders achieve excellence through his work as an executive coach and his top-rated podcast, The Look & Sound of Leadership.
- An elevator speech is a crisp, concise, high-level summary of a complex, multi-layered topic.
- It can be about whatever you do as a profession, but it can also be about anything else, like your recent vacation.
- Elevator speeches get crafted … it doesn’t happen in the spur of the moment.
- Creating an elevator speech doesn’t take long, but you have to choose to reflect.
- An elevator speech is actually a conversation tailored to the other person.
- Say a little bit, and then test the other person’s level of interest.
- The longer you talk, the less effective you are.
The Three Qualities of a Great Elevator Speech
- Keep it short
- Be memorable
- Tailor it to the listener
- Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office* by Lois P. Frankel
- Enhance Your Executive Presence, with Tom Henschel (episode 272)
- How to Grow Your Professional Network, with Tom Henschel (episode 279)
- Tom Henschel Interviews Dave (episode 300)
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.