Erin Meyer: The Culture Map
Erin Meyer, a professor at INSEAD, teaches us how to influence cross-culturally. Erin is the author of the bestselling book The Culture Map: Breaking Through the Invisible Boundaries of Global Business*.
- It’s more helpful to know how cultures compare to one another on specific issues than it is to just describe a specific culture.
- Different cultures have signals that mean different things.
- Historically homogenous cultures tend to be less explicit in their communication styles, with much more communication implied.
- Americans tend to be very direct except when giving negative feedback, and many people from other cultures find this confusing.
- Remember to: be curious, be humble, listen before you speak, and learn before you teach.
To access the behavioral culture map showing how 55 countries map to the 8 behaviors, complete the below:
- Visit https://coachingforleaders.com/culturemap
- Select the ‘7 day Premium Access” option
- Enter this coupon code when requested: CFL7DAYSFREE (Please note that this coupon expired March 6, 2017. You can still access Erin’s culture map at this link for a nominal fee.)
To complete the free culture map personal assessment and find out how you as an individual fall on the 8 behavioral culture map dimensions, simply visit this link:
Activate Your Free Coaching for Leaders Membership
Get immediate access to my free, 10-day audio course, 10 Ways to Empower the People You Lead. Give me 10 minutes a day for 10 days to get the most immediate, practical actions to become a better leader. Join at CoachingforLeaders.com.
- CFL13: How Culture Affects Coaching
- CFL144: How We Do Things Around Here To Get Results
- CFL166: How to Work in Different Cultures
Bonni and I return for the monthly question and answer show. Submit your question for consideration next week or for the first question and answer show the first Monday of every month at https://coachingforleaders.com/feedback
Thank you to Notavet in Germany for the kind review on iTunes. To leave a rating or review, visit https://coachingforleaders.com/itunes