Communications Consultant and Executive Coach, Farrington Partners
On this week’s show, Jacqueline Farrington teaches us how to lead through times of uncertainty and change. Jacqueline works with senior and board-level leaders. She specializes in helping executives create high-impact personal brands and communication strategies, with particular focus on cross-generational and cross-cultural communications. More
70% of all major organizational changes fail
20% of employees will support your change from the start
Book: First Break all the Rules* by Marcus Buckingham
People often have the perception that organizational change is about change management and not change leadership. The distinction is that while they both deliver change, change management is about the processes that we use. Change leadership is about the vision, creating a sense of urgency, and speaking to the hearts and minds of your employees.
Generally, when an organization introduces change, 20% of employees will support the change. But the rest, 80%, are either fence-sitters or active resisters, and often leaders forget about that.
Often, leaders look at their change champions, and think, “Ah, I don’t really have to pay attention to these people because they really believe in it, they’re driving it.” But if those people begin to feel ignored or that they aren’t being used to support the change, they can become highly disengaged.
Leaders often approach change from their perspective, not from their followers’ perspective.
- Book: Your Brain at Work* by David Rock
- Book: The Progress Principle* by Teresa Amabile and Steven Kramer
- Book: Overcoming Immunity to Change* by Robert Kegan
5 Days to Your Best Year Ever
- If you want to get started, check out episode 222.
- or, go to coachingforleaders.com/lifescore* to for a free life assessment developed by Michael Hyatt.
- Comments, questions, or feedback for future Q&A shows: https://coachingforleaders.com/feedback
- The next Q&A show is episode 226
Please join my weekly leadership guide. The leadership guide is delivered to your inbox each Wednesday and includes my thoughts and recommendations on the best articles, podcasts, videos, and books, to support your development between shows.
As a bonus, when you join the weekly leadership guide, you’ll get immediate access to my reader’s guide listing the 10 Leadership Books that Will Help You Get Better Results From Others with brief summaries from me on the value of each book. Download the 11-page reader’s guide and 9-minute video of these book recommendations. Visit https://coachingforleaders.com/subscribe
Thank you to jungeltelegrafen for the kind review on iTunes. If you would like to post a review as well, it’s a huge help in the growth of the Coaching for Leaders community. If you use iTunes, just visit https://coachingforleaders.com/itunes and if you use Stitcher, please visit https://coachingforleaders.com/stitcher – and thank you in advance for your support!