Author, Steal the Show*
Reporter: “How can an actor run for president?”
Ronald Reagan: “How can a president not be an actor?”
Michael Port is a NY Times bestselling author of six books including Book Yourself Solid*, The Think Big Manifesto*, and his hot new release, Steal the Show*. He has also been a successful professional actor, guest starring on shows like Sex & The City, Law & Order, Third Watch, All My Children, and in films like The Pelican Brief and Down to Earth. These days, Michael can be seen regularly on MSNBC, CNBC, and PBS as an expert in communication and business development.
A good performance is authentic behavior in a manufactured environment.
The better prepared you are, the easier it is to be authentic.
If you have a high stakes situation, and you need your Powerpoint slides to know what’s coming next, you’re not prepared enough.
Three questions people ask when listening to a speech:
- Will this thing work?
- Is this something worth my time?
- Is this person able to champion this idea?
The five components of great speeches:
- A big idea that is relevant to the listeners
- Be very clear on what is being promised in the presentation
- Make sure you can demonstrate that you understand the way the world looks to them
- Be able to demonstrate the consequences of not adopting the big idea
- Work hard to serve the audience
- Comments, questions, or feedback for future Q&A shows: http://coachingforleaders.com/feedback
- The next Q&A show is episode 221
Please join my weekly leadership guide. The leadership guide is delivered to your inbox each Wednesday and includes my thoughts and recommendations on the best articles, podcasts, videos, and books, to support your development between shows. It also includes a brief overview and link to the full weekly show notes.
As a bonus, when you join the weekly leadership guide, you’ll get immediate access to my reader’s guide listing the 10 Leadership Books that Will Help You Get Better Results From Others with brief summaries from me on the value of each book. Download the 11-page reader’s guide and 9-minute video of these book recommendations.
Access everything at: http://coachingforleaders.com/subscribe