Michael “Coop” Cooper: Innovators + Influencers
Do you feel like you are playing whack-a-mole, constantly putting out fires in your organization? Are others and you clear on the real reason for most problems? In this conversation, I welcome Michael “Coop” Cooper from Innovators + Influencers to share a 5-step strategy that will help you define problems so it’s clear what to do next.
1. Describe the situation
- There’s a lot of information in the situation that people don’t talk about.
- This does not have to take as long as most people think it does.
2. Draft a problem statement
- The problem we’re trying to solve is…
- Find the simplest statement possible.
3. Ask “Why is that a problem?” (REPEAT)
- Be aware of the thud factor and the pause.
4. Is this the real problem?
- Involve someone else
5. Is this problem worth solving?
- Will it save you time or money?
- Will it make your company/department more competitive/productive?
- Will this solution make your work or life easier in the long-run?
- Does this solution or solving this problem actually align with your company goals?
“If I were given an hour to save the world, I’d spend 59 minutes defining the problem and one minute solving it.” -Albert Einstein
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.