Chip Espinoza: Millennials at Work
Who are the millennials?
- They were born between 1980-2002 range.
- These are many of our newer employees in organizations.
- “The millennials are the first generation that has not needed an authority figure to access information.” -Chip Espinoza
There is a dynamic in the workforce of a generation that doesn’t know how to reach up working with a generation that doesn’t know how to reach down.
The people with the most responsibility need to adapt first in an organization. -Chip Espinoza
Ambiguity is the millennial kryptonite. -Chip Espinoza
This generation is used to experiencing success and might not have run into failure much before.
They also assume that everything is negotiable.
Avoid getting caught up in defensiveness of a millennial who might be receiving positive feedback.
- Millennials are relationship oriented.
- Give feedback in a way that’s not formal.
- Maintain the strength of the relationship.
- Feedback must be timely.
- Have a conversation with them instead of a conversation about them.
Build a relationship with people!
- Have a conversation and build a relationship.
- How to Start Coaching Someone (episode 2) provides a 4-step model for doing this
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.