Bonni Stachowiak: Teaching in Higher Ed
Bonni Stachowiak is the host of the Teaching in Higher Ed podcast, a professor of business and management at Vanguard University, and my life partner. Prior to her academic career, Bonni was a human resources consultant and executive officer for a publicly traded company. She is the author of The Productive Online and Offline Professor: A Practical Guide*.
Useful these leadership mindsets in crisis:
- Your have permission to be more directive than normal — and be sure to make space for listening.
- Acknowledge where people are right now, even it might not calibrate with where you “think” they might be.
- Embrace a bit of the humor that comes from all of this.
- Create useful structures for both your family and you.
- The spontaneous interactions won’t happen as easily. Be intentional about creating the kinds of human interactions that are important right now.
- Establish the boundaries you need to care for yourself.
- Transitions* by William Bridges
- How to Stop Worrying and Start Living* by Dale Carnegie
- Social Intelligence* by Daniel Goleman
- A Thousand Miles
- How to Engage With Humor, with David Nihill (episode 245)
- The Way to Have Conversations That Matter, with Celeste Headlee (episode 344)
- Getting Better at Empathy, with Daniel Goleman (episode 391)
- How to Reclaim Conversation, with Cal Newport (episode 400)
Activate your free membership for full access to the entire library of interviews since 2011, searchable by topic.