266: How to Lead a 100-Year Life: Lynda Gratton (web) (Twitter) is a Professor of Management Practice at London Business School. She joined me this week to discuss her new book with Andrew Scott, The 100-Year Life: Living and working in an age of longevity*.
- Many more of us, and potentially a majority of our children, will live to be 100 or more
- Organizations (and society) still tend to frame our lives in three stages: education, work, retirement
- Transitions now happen more often for us and are less likely to be in lock-step with our peers
- The problem with transition: the people who know you best don’t want you to change
- Navigating more transitions in life means that we need to have networks with people who are not like us
- Truth is essential in leadership
- The 100-Year Life: Living and working in an age of longevity by Lynda Gratton and Andrew Scott*
- 100-Year Life Diagnostic
- CFL84: Daniel Pink on To Sell is Human
- CFL196: Marshall Goldsmith on Triggers: Creating Behavior That Lasts
- CFL236: How Superbosses Master the Flow of Talent
- CFL238: How to Be a Non-Conformist, with Adam Grant
- CFL249: How to Succeed with Leadership and Management, with John Kotter
Top 10 Smart Alternatives to TED Talks: Lots of us love TED talks, but if you’re up for something different, here’s a list to get you started.
3 Reasons to Own Your Career in 2017 (If You Don’t, Research Shows, It’ll Own You): Several good reminders here — and I’m especially glad that #3 is becoming trendy (finally).
CFL54: How Authentic Leaders Apologize: I’ve seen more than a few stories in the media this week about apologies. On this episode, Bonni and I detail how to apologize authentically — and exactly the three steps to follow.
Creating Safety for Hard Talks: Speaking of difficult conversations, Tom Henschel just released this episode on The Look & Sound of Leadership podcast. It’s solid advice for navigating tough situations.
Oprah Winfrey: The Number One Principle That Rules My Life is Intention: A lot of us see Oprah as someone who’s got it all figured out. It wasn’t always that way, and this conversation between her and LinkedIn’s CEO captures the importance of career vision and intentionality.
Just For Fun
Watch Trump Serenade Clinton to “(I’ve Had) The Time of My Life” During Debate: The best thing I’ve seen online all week. 90-seconds capturing everything that’s right about the internet age.
Heads up to listeners in the Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, Orange Country, California, or San Diego areas. Here are a few dates I’m considering for listener meetups:
- Ft. Lauderdale, FL – Nov. 21st or 22nd, 2016
- Orange County, CA – December, 2016
- San Diego, CA – Jan. 11th or 12th, 2017
Know of a location we could get listeners together in the dates/locations above? Hit reply and let me know!