The stages of development from Robert Kegan:
- Impulsive mind (early childhood)
- Imperial mind (adolescence)
- Socialized mind (46% of the adult population)
- Self-Authoring mind (41% of the adult population)
- Self-Transforming mind
- There are only modest correlations with age and the adult developmental stages.
- We can absolutely regress backward into prior stages depending on context and situation.
- Knowing more about what stage(s) you identify with will help you have more compassion for yourself and for others.
- Your most practical development plan: Do one thing every day that scares you.
- Invictus movie
- Immunity to Change: How to Overcome It and Unlock the Potential in Yourself and Your Organization by Robert Kegan and Lisa Laskow Lahey
- In Over Our Heads: The Mental Demands of Modern Life by Robert Kegan
- Changing on the Job: Developing Leaders for a Complex World by Jennifer Garvey Berger
- Cultivating Leadership website
- CFL32: The Best Way to Do On-the-Job Training
- CFL36: What Every Leader Ought to Know About Sending People to Training
- CFL135: How To Get The Most Out Of Training
LifeScore Assessment: I just completed this new, free LifeScore assessment from Michael Hyatt this morning. My score was 84 — one area I’ll be working on in 2017: eating a bit healthier. What’s your score?
100 Great Leadership Speakers for Your Next Conference: Lots of great names on this list, including a numbers of past Coaching for Leaders guests.
When It Comes to Success, Age Really Is Just a Number: Think you’re too old to really strike success? Not true, according to the research highlighted in this article.
10 Learnings from 10 Years of Brain Pickings: I follow Brain Pickings, a popular site for some of the best wisdom to be gained from books. I liked these ten lessons for a decade of their work — especially #1.
Plugged Into Leadership: Tim Hull recently interviewed me on the principles of leadership, some of my favorite past Coaching for Leaders episodes, and some of the history and technology of producing the show.