Good delegation is an ongoing dialogue. Once you’ve defined what done looks like, they draft a plan, review it with you, and you both establish milestones.
- Once you’ve defined what done looks like, ask the employee to draft a plan for how they will meet the objectives.
- When reviewing an employee’s plan, resist the temptation to coach them on minor issues that aren’t likely to affect the overall outcome.
- Establish milestones upfront with an employee to prevent micromanagement. Decide together what the cadence of checkins should look like.
- Effective Delegation of Authority, with Hassan Osman (episode 413)
- The Way to Be More Coach-Like, with Michael Bungay Stanier (episode 458)