Almost all of us are put into leadership roles where we need to influence people that we can’t bark orders to. It’s essential for all of us to learn how to lead without a formal title. In this episode, I explore 6 things you can do to lead others outside of title and position that will create better results for both of you.
1) Find out what’s important to people – and then help them get it
- Appreciate the past
- Understand the present
- Picture the future
- Identify passions
- ARTICLE LINK: 4 Ways to Prepare Your Team to See The Future
2) Go out of your way to recognize people
- Write thank you notes – I write at least 1-2 each week
- Do everyone possible to share people’s name is a positive way publicly
- Use people’s names
3) Make decisions for the long-run
4) Don’t love ‘em and leave ‘em
5) Engage your opponents
- Take time to listen to people who disagree with you
- You don’t have to agree – but understand where they are coming from
6) Have a sense of humor
- Groundhog day
If you use an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, be sure to check out the new Podcasts app on iTunes. It’s free!
Next week is episode #50 and the first anniversary of this show. To celebrate, Bonni will be joining me and we’ll be talking about leadership lessons we’ve learned in parenting during the first six months of Luke’s life. Don’t miss it!
If this show has been helpful to you, please visit the following address and write the show a brief review: CoachingforLeaders.com/itunes Thank you for being a partner in helping us to engage and develop others!
Wherever you are in the world, whatever is on your agenda today, take one idea from this show to engage and develop someone you lead.