Author of Start with Why* and Leaders Eat Last*
Questions from Mastermind members:
- How do you make these ideas part of the operating culture of the organization? —Mike
- I have listened to Simon’s book, Why Leaders Eat Last. Simon provided a lot of examples of what he calls the circle of safety. His philosophy and ideas are rational. Does he have data to support that getting buy in on his philosophy is actually good for business by reducing costs or increasing profits? —Chris
Companies should not be deciding their purpose or cause based on market research. That’s like a politician deciding what their vision is based on poll numbers.
The first step to becoming that leader we wish we had is to actually want to be the leader.
It’s about all about purpose and creating strong human relationships, and learning your “Why” gives you a massive advantage in decision-making.
Fulfillment comes through service to others. When we make it about ourselves, it never really works. When we make it about others, it really feels amazing.
If your kid has a bad report card, you don’t put him up for adoption, you get him a tutor. If someone has performance issues at the company, you don’t fire them, you coach them.
Leadership is a process, and it requires commitment.
The only way to find out if it will work is to do it.
Leaders are not responsible for the numbers; leaders are responsible for the people responsible for the numbers.
- Book: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action* by Simon Sinek
- Book: Leaders Eat Last* by Simon Sinek
- TED talk: How great leaders inspire action
- Comments, questions, or feedback for future Q&A shows: http://coachingforleaders.com/feedback
- The next Q&A show is episode 225
Please join my weekly leadership guide. The leadership guide is delivered to your inbox each Wednesday and includes my thoughts and recommendations on the best articles, podcasts, videos, and books, to support your development between shows.
As a bonus, when you join the weekly leadership guide, you’ll get immediate access to my reader’s guide listing the 10 Leadership Books that Will Help You Get Better Results From Others with brief summaries from me on the value of each book. Download the 11-page reader’s guide and 9-minute video of these book recommendations. Visit http://coachingforleaders.com/subscribe
Thank you to Jon Lokhorst for the kind review on iTunes. If you would like to post a review as well, it’s a huge help in the growth of the Coaching for Leaders community. If you use iTunes, just visit http://coachingforleaders.com/itunes and thank you in advance for your support!